Ten Things To Ask Every Contractor:
1. What is your business history?
- State License
- Worker’s Compensation & General Liability Insurance
- BBB Accreditation
- Experience & Number of Years In Business
- List of References
2. Have you ever operated under a different name?
- Lawsuits, Bankruptcy, Liens
3. How will you communicate with me?
- One-To-One Meetings
4. What is the timeline on the project?
- Start Date, Completion Date
- Selections Date
5. How will you communicate selection decisions?
- Emails, Text, Phone, One-To-One Meetings
6. Have you done a project comparable to mine in the past?
- Issues or Concerns
- Knowledge on This Type of Project
7. Who will manage my project?
8. How do you structure contracts?
- Cost Plus
- Stipulated Sum/Turn-Key
- Flat Contractor Fee
9. What amount of money is required down?
- Earnest Money Required (Where is the money held?)
- Non-Refundable Deposit
- Invoicing (Schedule of Payments)
10. Do you back your craftsmanship?
- Builders’ Warranty
Things I Need To Know Before Building A Home:
- Do I own property to build or do I need to purchase property?
- Do I have a home plan selected?
- If no,
- Will I choose stock plans or custom drawn blueprints?
- If no,
- What type of finishes do I want?
- Exterior finishes: Brick, stone, fiber-cement board, vinyl siding, etc.
- Interior finishes: Flooring, cabinetry & millwork, paint colors, etc.
- What is my timeline on home completion?
- What is my budget?
- What type of financing options exists for new construction?
- How involved do I want to be in the building process?
- Do I want to actively participate in all, part or none of the process?
- Do I want many options for my choices or a limited selection?
- What is the most important feature of my new home? In other words . . . what is the one thing that I must have?
- Help us help you . . . what can we do to make your building project a wonderful experience?